Friday, November 4, 2011

A new place to lay my head

For a very long time, I have been wanting a pretty, velvet headboard for my bedroom. I looked all over the place online, and even checked out the Ballard Backroom, Home Goods and Marshall's, but just couldn't find anything in the next-to-nothing budget I had set. So, what's a girl to do? 


Well, I immediately went to the blogosphere, and found a handful of DIY instructions on making your own. I figured for around $50 and some time, I could have pretty close to what I wanted. So, the Mr. and I made a trip to Home Depot one Saturday morning, and had a piece of Plywood cut to the size I wanted. 

I had read on numerous blogs in addition to the plywood I would need foam, batting and fabric. Well, did you know foam is really pretty expensive for a girl on a cheap DIY budget? I opted to buy the batting, and picked out a pretty grey velvet, and a package of nailhead trim.

On my way home, I was trying to think of a way to make the headboard a little more plush, when I remembered an old feather bed in the top of my linen closet. At the beginning and end of this project, the feather bed was an excellent idea, but can I just tell you, my living room looked like a feather factory. I am talking feathers everywhere. I am STILL sweeping them up. Since the feather bed was larger than the headboard size (and too thick to just staple back) I had to cut off the extra, i.e. make a gigantic mess. 

After I secured the feather bed, I took an old sheet and stapled it around to keep any stray feathers from escaping. Then I stapled my fabric around that. The nailhead trim was by far the hardest part, and the part that most made me want to give up. I really wanted extra detail, but those things are just really difficult to nail into the wood, especially with a mound of feathers and fabric in the way. I finally opted to use silver nails instead of the nailhead fills, and unless you get up really close, you can't even tell!

So, after a few hours of work, and a lot of sweeping, I had a new headboard. I have to say, I'm pretty happy with the end result!



xoxo!

By Brit with No lovely notes

0 lovely notes: